Sunday, January 15, 2006

Braving the Cold

People with fibromyalgia often experience cold as pain. That goes triple for me. I hate cold with a deep and abiding passion.

When I woke up it was 46 degrees. It has just warmed up to 50!!!

We get a few days like this in South Florida each year. Many people enjoy the rare change to chilly weather.

Not me.

It can get into the 60's to give me a little respite from the heat, but that's about as far as I ever want to go.

When it's cold like today, I usually just stay inside with the heat on. BUT!!!

Sundays, you see, are my days for mildly nefarious activities. Like liberating *trash* from defunct nurseries, as the developers await their demolition and building permits. Once they get going they bulldoze really good stuff and why shouldn't I do some rescues on things that will soon be crushed and tossed?

Okay. I know I'm not supposed to hop that fence. It is trespassing, and I know it. I may get caught. But I'll take the consequences of my actions for the sake of rescuing innocent plants and the empty pots to put them in.

Not to mention, getting some really fab photos in the process.

But it's SSSOOOOOOOOO COLD out there!

Am I gonna go?

Looks like I'd have to substitute long pants for the blue boxers today. That's OK, I know where I put those pants, I found them yesterday whilst housecleaning.

When I look out the window I see brilliant sunshine. God, what a beautiful day.

Just goes to show, you can't judge a book by its cover.

5 comments:

Desert Cat said...

You would like Hawaii. It never got below 70 while we were there in January. I understand it rarely rises past the mid eighties in the summer.

Heck, *I* would like Hawaii. I wish I had a way to be there, at least a few months every year if not permanently.

Desert Cat said...

Hello?

Northwoods Woman said...

From what I'm gathering, that southern cold is supposed to be worse than the drier cold we have up here in the frozen tundra. But I completely understand about the fibro, it sucks.

dumpster diving huh? Love it! I get my best deals there sometimes!

k said...

oops! Spacing out on doc visits and hurricane damage estimators. I am so tired.

There is no place in the world like Hawaii. None. There's some portal or something there, ok? Some mysterious life force connection.

And so full of lush life and beauty and sweetness. Oh! orchids like nobody's business!

I'm here. Just especially slow. This time because it's my *healthy* time. Weird, huh?

k said...

Livey, you would not BELIEVE the stuff I've been collecting! It's always great pickings here, we all kind of get into it on the "giving" end and "receiving" end too. I'll stack stuff at the end of my driveway for someone else, then go out in my car to *shop* for some more!

But since the hurricanes? We got ate by Katrina's first landfall, then much worse by Wilma. Two trees fell on my house, then as I was signing off live-blogging that, a window on the other wall blew out and I was nearly decapitated by flying glass. My TV saved my life.

And ever since then I've been picking stuff up from these huge hurricane debris piles that lined both sides of all roads for weeks and weeks.

I have so much material and so many great pix to post, and I'm so busy cramming in 4-8 doc visits a week before I have to lock myself up in the house again, and I'm still cleaning up my OWN hurricane debris, and preparing my final damage estimate for the insurance company, which means bids from the yard debris guy, plumber, handyman, furniture repair, antiques repair, yada yada yada...and the stupid mortgage holder is sitting on my only reasonably big insurance check, calling me *delinquent* because I accepted THEIR Hurricane Moratorium (?!?!) so they say, Oh, sorry, the new Disaster Department's computer doesn't communicate with Homeowner Assistance and Loss Draft yet...

oy!