Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Cave Time

It's that time of year: the extreme-level allergies are knocking me off my feet. Nothing out of the ordinary, and I had a really good February this year, so I don't want to complain.

But - just to explain, which is a different matter - I'll be even slower than usual, so please bear with any slowpokey responses from me back to you. There may be fewer posts, or more Articles vs. original material.

My sleep patterns will be all over the place for a while, but I'll be mostly nocturnal. For whatever reason, sleeping through the high-pollen daylight hours helps hugely; I've seen this work for other superallergic people too.

I'm trying to stabilize it - maybe sleep noon until midnight, maybe hold it down to 12 hours sleep/day - but we'll see how far those good intentions take me. I pick my battles carefully. Long experience has taught me that the need to treat this profound immunological reaction with all the sleep it wants, whenever it wants, is not a productive thing to fight. On this one, I go with the flow.

I don't really mind so much. I've got lots of great pics of the outside world to keep me busy for a good long time, and I still have lots of inside rehab to do. Fun stuff, the best kind. When I stop trying to fight the fatigue and switch to night owl life, I actually get a great deal accomplished. Much better than trying to drag myself through my day feeling Zombie.

It's cave time too. Being in North Florida 3 times in April did me a world of good. Sometimes changing the local pollen environment can make a big improvement, and the contrast in my level of function in North Florida vs. SE Florida was pronounced. For now, back home, I'm shut in during daylight hours. Thank heaven for the 24-hour Walmart, where I did my grocery shopping at 4:00 this morning. And picked up whatever I missed there at Publix at 7AM, then skedaddled home, bearing the fruits of foraging around in dangerous (outdoors) territory. Whee! Victory is mine!

One thing I've learned over these long years of illness is to remember to be patient: with myself, my beat-up body's needs in sleep and pollen avoidance, all that. Since I'm not a naturally willing patient this part's been a little hard. Of course I'd rather be gardening or bricklaying or hunting shark's teeth. Acceptance of the things I cannot change is important to me. In this arena, I try to prevent emergencies rather than have to deal with them. Still, I can't avoid having some battles to fight.

But together with picking my battles, I can choose my attitude. I can choose to be joyous in the fight itself - win or lose - or allow myself to stay depressed about having to fight in the first place. I say, Not everyone has the opportunity to face challenges serious enough that they bring out the best you have to give.

You probably figured out which choice I made.

2 comments:

Desert Cat said...

I've been tarrying in my intent to talk up your site on my blog, now that you've got a bunch of content up. I've just been overwhelmed trying to keep up with all the blogwars currently underway.

Just want to note that those are some great photos you got on your way home. Love them!

Serious stuff, those allergies you deal with. Stay safe.

k said...

I'm so glad you liked them! I love Florida scenery. It just suddenly hit me that I could SHOW these things, not just talk about them, and I tell you, that was an epiphany. I can't find words to express to Walter what he's done for me, between opening the blog when I was too chicken, and giving me a digital camera, and redoing all our computer stuff, and oh, everything...

The content is still slow for now but it feels good to put it out. I can feel, almost physically, what you mean when you say this is addicting. I told my mom, I was born to blog.

Soon I'll be able to go through your *pix in blogger* email and slowly learn how to put those pix together they way I want to. Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words - so is an email sometimes: I told Walter, Here's what I mean by excellent technical writing. Read this email. So he read for himself what I was trying to explain. (Hope that made sense!)

I checked your trackback on the bunny pix and sent themodulator a comment about the caterpillars, and they already linked us! Miss Eureka will send some more pix of her little green babies soon and I'll send it out to them again. A small thing in the context of the affairs of the world? Perhaps. But boy, it's fun.

I thank you for thinking of talking up ksquest. That's so nice. Not necessary though. I don't expect big traffic, I'm amusing myself and communicating with friends and family. Good thing, too, since Blogger tells me no one has ever visited my site!

Those blogwars would wear me out. Really, they seem exhausting. I rarely check in on them although sometimes it's so hard not to. They're blogwars because they're subjects people are passionate about.

I won't pretend these seasonal superallergic exacerbations don't scare me at all. They do. But at least now I know what's coming, and what works in dealing with it. And know not to butt my head against the wall trying to do things that I should leave alone until better air comes my way.

And lucky, lucky, lucky me, my wonderful niece is flying in for a short visit tonight. This means I can go up to Bone Valley again. With her around I'll be safe to go, plug in that car ionizer, only drive if I'm clear-headed. She's a great fossil hunter and she really enjoys going up there. So I get to have some fun and make another escape after all. That's a real treat.

And now, I'll return to cleaning house like a crazy fiend. Rehab materials and debris all OVER the place.

I took pix. They're the *Before's.* ;-)