Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Walkingstick. We Should All Be So Lucky as to find a Walkingstick. Just sitting there on our screen door, one fine summer day...

I'm going to swipe some text out of Miss Livey's here. I hope she doesn't mind. If I knew how to swipe and post pix, I'd do that too. Instead, please click on this link for a drop-dead kick-ass bug pic:

http://northwoodswoman.blogspot.com/2005/07/what-hell-is-this.html

Here's the text:

Sunday, July 31, 2005
What the Hell is This?

I found this on my screen door this morning. At first glance it looked like a weird twig. Upon further examination it looked like a weird twig that sprouted legs. I touched it and it moved! I'm guessing its some weird kinda bug? Anyone have a clue?
--------------------------------------------------

Me, I posted a comment. I figured no one would read it since the post was from last July and my comment from this January. Here's what I said, slightly edited:

What you had there is called a walkingstick. It looks exactly like a stick, thus the excellent name.

It's a bug. [Well an insect, technically.] Bugs have 6 legs, always. What you noticed was its long twig-like body and the legs sticking out like littler side twigs. Except the two forelegs. They stick straight out in front and make it look longer, bigger, to scare people more.

You said before that you hate bugs. Me, I love bugs. I'm just lucky that way.

I've wanted to see a real live walkingstick in person - I mean out in the *wild* - all my life. But I never have.

Oh I am SO jealous! You have NO idea how lucky you are! That's one mighty fine walkingstick you got there.

;)

4 comments:

Northwoods Woman said...

Steal all you want darlin'. Apparently those bugs are common down south, but very rare around these parts. I had no clue what it was. I thought it was an alien or something!

k said...

Yeah, that's what I'd always heard, but I still have yet to see one down here either. And what the heck was one doing up there anyway?!?

Ha! Probably it was a Tourist Bug. Got blown up there by a hurricane.

Did any of your commenters last summer tell you what it was?

Northwoods Woman said...

Yeah quite a few southerners were surprised I had no idea what it was.

k said...

Is this a bug you can say you actually *like* now? Ya gotta admit, he's a cutie.