Wednesday, May 10, 2006

New Tires! Done by the MAN!

I really hate cars.

I hate to deal with them. I used to do my own tuneups, back in the day. Change its oil and its filters. Changed many a flat tire, jumped countless dead batteries, propped open carburetors with a screwdriver on sticky cold mornings, yada yada yada...and hated every minute of it.

They smell disgusting. Gas and oil are stinks that make me physically ill, which I didn't know back then. A very precise type of allergic reaction takes place in response to breathing those fumes, and scientists didn't see it in the lab until a couple years ago.

But even if that weren't a factor, I'd still hate cars. A car's a tool. Sure, I like power tools when I really need 'em. But mostly I like hand tools.

Being one of those extremely independent women - by genes, by choice, and by necessity - it took some time before Walter and I worked out certain household tasks.

One day, not long after we married, he sweetly but very firmly made me let go of this big armful of groceries I was taking from the car. He said, --This is why you married me. And without even waiting for my response, he calmly picked up all that stuff and took it on in. I mean, he just grinned at me and walked away with it all.

Leaving me standing in the parking lot with a silly look on my face, watching that man walk off with those groceries in his gorgeous strong arms. He's got these really broad shoulders and, um, watching him walk away from you, ladies, is one of life's great treats...

Hearing that in his exquisite European accent, and being talked to like that - understand, I'm my own boss, and was boss of lots of really serious money and stuff when I worked - anyway, it totally disarmed me. That moment set the stage for k learning how to work with Walter on this sharing of life's responsibilities.

I'd gotten over the *Hold the Door for the Woman* thing years before. No worries there, guys. This was something completely different.

So car stuff is all Walter now.

And boy, does it make me HAPPY.

The car is now the proud owner of two new tires. Done by Walter, who didn't even want a ride home from the tire place. Close enough! he said, and dropped off the car and walked home and then back to get it when it was done. Took it somewhere else to save $60.00 on the alignment.

And I called GEICO and discovered, to my joy, that the windshield is not only covered with no deductible, they'll call the windshield guys out to your house if you like. Yes please. They'll be here this morning, so as not to disturb my nocturnal lifestyle.

Yum!

No grease under MY fingernails, folks!

No comments: