Monday, October 16, 2006

Cat Starts House Fire, Dog Saves Owner

Cat Starts House Fire, Dog Saves Owner

By Associated Press

4 hours ago

RHINE, Wis. - After a disabled woman's cat started a house fire, her specially trained dog rescued her by bringing a phone to call for help. Jamie Hanson, 49, received third-degree burns on her arm in the fire that killed both of her pets, Sheboygan County Sheriff's officials said Monday.

The fire started Sunday night when Hanson's cat knocked a candle onto a chair. Hanson's dog then brought her a phone, allowing her to call for help.

Hanson, who lost a leg in a car accident, told the dispatcher she was disabled but would try to leave the house, Lt. Chad Broeren said. Firefighters found her standing in the doorway as flames engulfed the home, he said.

She was taken to Sheboygan Memorial Hospital. Her injuries are not life threatening, Broeren said.
Information from: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel,
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Jean said...

and the animals didn't make it??? damn!
Don't show this to Curmudgeonisms... the booger hates cats... or, so he says...:)

k said...

Yeah, I was just thinking how the headline could read, *...both died in fire.* That was sad.

And when I saw it was the cat who started it, I sighed. I'd prefer not to feed ammunition to those cat-haters. Ah, such is life. Next time the perp will be a dog. Or a bear or something.