Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Fortune

I'm going through whirlwind cycles of rehab, then those semicomatose allergic fatigue sleeps. I can deal with the sleeps just fine these days, so that's all right. Makes the cat happy as can be. And he deserves it.

The progress inside the house has me holding my breath, not just against the dust, but out of silent hopeful elation.

So much of what I'm doing right now has that aura of finality about it. Moving crates of, say, certain building supplies to where they'll be used up and gone in short order.

In my office, Walter swapped my old monitor for a "new" used one, $10 at Faith Farm. This tube has me actually seeing Desert Cat's photos clear and bright on the home computer, not just the laptop.

So the old monitor gets shuffled off to Walter's room to deal with as he sees fit.

After I remove my decorations, that is.

That's my Chinese fortune cookie fortunes, collected and taped onto the monitor over the years.

I've always liked to save them. These were collected just since we bought the house. Inspiring! Thought-provoking! Encouraging! Flattering! As follows:


Now is the time to try something new.
A good time to finish up old tasks.
You have a keen sense of humor and love a good time.
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
Your home is a pleasant place from which you draw happiness.
Avert misunderstanding by calm, poise and balance.
Good news will come to you by mail.
Your home is a pleasant place from which you draw happiness.
All your hard work will soon pay off.


The "home is a pleasant place" one is duplicated above because I peeled two of 'em off the monitor. Didn't know there were two up there. I must have been especially attached to that sentiment.

And now - it's time to move on.

I'll put new ones up, I bet.

But they won't be the same.

They'll be new, for a new time in my life. They'll be even better.

I'll read them not just with hope for the future, but with that quiet elation for how far we've already come.

2 comments:

Desert Cat said...

Once I feel like I have reasonably secured my files and photos, I'll be posting more of them, lest something else happen to them. At least once posted, they are up there (albeit in diminished resolution) to recover if the need arises.

k said...

Yes. Emphatically.