Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Bucktown

On the aerial video of the flooded areas of New Orleans I thought I recognized a particular area called Bucktown. Roofs showing above floodwaters must look more or less alike so this seemed silly to me. How in the world could I recognize it? It mattered because two particularly special friends of mine lived there.

"A" was a fellow bankbuster and a New Orleans native. She was smart as a whip and very tough and very tender all at once, and beautiful to boot. "C" was a true and fine man and did the best crawfish boil in the city.

When I left New Orleans and my healthy life behind I said goodbye to everyone I knew. To them too, a few years later, last of all. After a magical visit with Walter - I wanted them all to meet each other - I haven't contacted them, or them me, again. It's been about 5 years now.

Bucktown is where the levee breached.

Their house is destroyed. All the care and love and work they put into it - and I was there working on it too when they moved in - it's all gone.

They are proud and stubborn people. The type of folks who might not evacuate. If they didn't they may well be dead.

I choose to believe they're not.

No comments: