Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Power Up

Monday, 8/29

This morning, only 95,000 FPL customers in Broward County were still without power.

I was one of them.

At around 2:30 this afternoon, it came back on.

You never saw such electricity-happy people in your life.

I went a bit nuts. I was going over to Jeff's for dinner and bringing some cooked vegetables. Now I could cook them before going over there. More hospitable, IMO, than prepping them and bringing them over raw and saying, Can I borrow your stove?

Get this: I took a Hot Bath. And since there was A/C on I didn't even need a cold bath.

Not that I had any clean clothes to put on afterwards. Tomorrow I'll have SCADS of them.

I keep having these electricity fantasies. You know. Things to do that require electricity?

I shall wash my hair in Hot Water. This means a nice clean bun.

Drink tea.

Put away the Hurricane Pretzels.

Take a bath that's not in the dark.

Run the espresso machine and nuke my milk and cream all at the same time. With the lights on and the fridge on too.

Mop the floor with hot water.

Watch my antique cat enjoy his heating pad again.

Watch my antique cat rest his sore old bones on his pillows and towel-lined basket, instead of lying on the hard terrazzo floor for the coolness.

Turn the car off when I'm not driving it.

Sit inside my house without pouring sweat 24/7.

Sleep in a bed that's not soaking wet with sweat.

Put away about 25 pounds of extension cords and surge protectors.

Be able to walk around without tripping over extension cords and surge protectors.

Walk around without carrying a little $6 fan dragging its really long extention cord behind it.

Put away candles and candlesticks and the candelabra and matches, and stop dripping wax all over the bathtub rim.

See the time on ALL my clocks.

Make a grilled cheese sandwich.

Toast, too.

Bake bread? I already did. Post-Hurricane Baked Goods.

Making me 8 minutes late to dinner. Totally unacceptable!, I said. (You know. Like Supernanny?) Fortunately I didn't have to make up any excuses. (The dog ate my homework. The electricity ate my clock.)

Adieu. I'm off to sleep in air conditioning for the first night in five days.

No comments: