Thursday, March 02, 2006

Coming Home

Walter's coming home again already.

I really, really like this.

Unfortunately, one reason is that he needs time off to rest from another loss in his family in Europe. His father passed away this weekend.

He was 93 years old. He had a good run. But once you lose someone, you lose all chance of saying those things that went unsaid while they lived.

I'm so sad for Walter. He hasn't seen his birth family for a very long time, and they are all still over there. He has no blood family here at all.

But he has me.

And he has my own mom and dad, who love him.

We let him know, not so much with words but with our actions and our ways, we let Walter know we love him, too.

We're not his birth family. We are his new family, his American family for his life here and now, and I know that counts.

Come on home, safe.

2 comments:

k said...

I'm so glad the really bad cold is over. I can take it OK in the 60's but those big drops we had made me so sick I couldn't believe it. Still not quite over it. But sweating over my plumeria seems to be helping.

BTW - you have quite a talent in the Cute Cat Pix department. I showed the sleeping kittens to BabyCat but he pretended he didn't see them.

Walter wants to meet you too! We've almost made it by a couple times, but so far no dice. Over Christmas he came home sick, and only got better just before he left. The next time he came home he rested in bed reading, which I wanted him to do, except it meant we didn't do anything around the house, or outside of it either! So this time maybe we'll get lucky.

The semi comes with him and it's always an adventure to see where it will go. In S FL there aren't a lot of truck stops to put the truck overnight. The only close one is on Coconut Creek Parkway, by the turnpike entrance, but it charges money for that. Sometimes they do, but usually it's like $5/nite. These people want $30/nite! Fuggetaboutit.

It used to be ok at the Kmart parking lot, but they just put a sign up, *No Overnight Trucks!*

So last time, he stashed it on the turnpike plaza. That's probably where it'll go this time too.

Have you ever ridden in one?

k said...

Shoot! I was afraid of that. That's exactly what happened with my grandmother, Helen. She loved to fly - she had a pilot's license - but after her stroke we couldn't figure out how to get her into one of those little planes for a ride.

Ok. Another question: Can you ride a scooter? Not the motorbike kind! - one of those little electric chairs?