Wednesday, May 10, 2006

How to Change Your Windshield

I love good work. I love to watch it being done, too. Today I got a great show.

The car window guy came out this morning. It was a treat to watch him replace the window the buzzard bashed in.

He comes here from New Jersey, where he got tired of the cold. He's only been here a couple months, he says, and he's trying to get used to the heat.

Inside his van, he has pictures of his family in prominent view. He says his two daughters, ages 10 and 11, are having a blast down here. He's got a sister in Orlando who works at Disney, so she gets free tickets - and lives all by herself in a 4-bedroom house. So, yeah. Orlando's around 2 1/2 hours away, so guess who goes up there, stays in some of Auntie's spare bedrooms, and has a blast at Disney?

Not to mention all the cool alligators and stuff! says I. Yeah, they love all that, he says. The beach, everything. LOVE it.

That's good. Nature and Disney and all kinds of fun stuff is way good for you, girls. Welcome to Florida.

This guy replaces 7-10 car windows each day. He's been doing it for 18 years. When he first got here I immediately saw he could do this in his sleep. So I said,

--Looks like you've done a couple of these before.

--Yeah. This is my second one.

One time, one of his customers actually believed him and freaked out a bit. He got her calmed down, though.

I said, --People like you? I think of them as, The tools sit up and jump into their hands and say *Yessir!*

--Yeah. Now if I could just get them to do the WORK I'd have it made-- he says.

3 comments:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

PPS I hope this is not in French.

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Somehow my other 2 comments got lost. Not to worry. I mentioned that I am glad you like my blog, that the others who come to look at it are mostly family members. And that my husband is a fossil-hunter, too. He used to love to go on digs.

Oh, and I wondered how close you are to the fires?

k said...

Another fossil hunter! I bet he knows the most special place I get to go. It's not dinos, it's early mammals and so forth. I call it the Fossil Farm because it needs to stay inblognito.