Thursday, December 20, 2007

NICU

Okay. I'm not going to get too worked up over this, because from what I hear, the docs aren't.

But the little one is not going home so fast, after all.

He had a few episodes where he stopped breathing. So since he is small, and they need to watch him, he's going to stay in neonatal ICU for at least 48 hours.

He's had blood drawn, so they'll do a blood culture to check for infection. Do a scan. See an ENT to check for blockages or some other reason he'd have trouble breathing.

Like I said, everyone is taking it pretty calmly.

But I don't like it. Nope. Not a bit.

The good thing is this: The NICU nurse sits in a place where she's surrounded by little NICU babies. Several are arranged around her, not more than a couple feet away.

Nothing can possibly happen without it being noticed, and instantly.

That's a very good thing. Somehow, the idea of sending such a little baby home so fast seemed...optimistic to me. I don't like this: but still, I feel a little more comfortable this way, because I know he'll be watched intently, 24/7.

That won't be too hard on the nurses, either. I just got some pix of him, and that is one beautiful baby.

Just absolutely beautiful.

No comments: